Choosing your perfect shade and formula of foundation can be tricky to say the least but when chosen correctly foundation should be virtually invisible. The cosmetic industry is swirling with information and options that can definitely be difficult to navigate and make sense of. According to Women’s Health Magazine “It should seamlessly blend with the skin so it evens out your tone and makes you look natural, but the best you can look. When you choose the correct shade you will not see it, (source).” Here are some simple solutions to getting the right shade and type of product tailored to you:
- Speak With A Makeup Artist: This is by far one of the most overlooked but essential steps to getting the right foundation shade. Makeup artists are trained to be able to match skin tones and different skin types up with the correct products for them. This ensures a foolproof way to get exactly the product you’re looking for and usually samples are given to take home and try before buying. Technique and application can also be gone over in an appointment, which can make a huge difference in the longevity and look of the product. Here at designHouse we have experienced makeup artists that are familiar with a variety of skin types and tones. The ability to colour match clients to our featured line, Elate, is an integral part of their work as makeup artists.
- Trust Your Neck: Women will often make the mistake of colour testing on their hands or inside of the wrist. Although not a terrible method the skin on your hand is completely different from that on your face and can easily lead to a mismatch of colour tone. The ultimate goal is to have your foundation blend seamlessly with your neck, by doing a jaw patch test getting the right tone is easier than ever.
- Choosing the Right Formula: Colour matching is one thing but a whole other aspect of choosing the right foundation is the formula. Looking to see what you feel you need foundation for is an easy way to distinguish this. Oily? Acne-prone? Look for lightweight varieties with fuller coverage. Dry? Aging skin? Looking for dewy alternatives that have some oil and a luminous sheen. Elate has different formulas depending on your coverage and skin needs. We’ve been loving the fresh tint foundation going into spring and summer! We have it on our website here.
- Apply Like a Pro: Different foundations require different application techniques and by investing in the appropriate brushes you can ensure flawless coverage.
- BB/CC creams work great with hands.
- Liquid foundations require a soft flat brush. “Buff in a circular motion from the center of your face, blending outward, (source).”
- Powder varieties require a big fluffy brush that can be lightly swept over the entire face ensuring even application.
- Undertone: Figure out what undertone your skin has by looking at the veins on the underside of your wrists. “If they’re mostly blue or purple, you have cool undertones; if they’re more of a greenish yellow, you have warm undertones; and if your veins look like a mix of green, blue, yellow, and purple, your undertones are neutral, (source).” By choosing the right undertone you can get the right mix for the time of year and how much coverage you want.
Looking for some help getting colour matched? Contact DesignHouse and one of our in house makeup artists would love to help you get matched up. You can easily book an appointment here so what are you waiting for?