Unfortunately there’s no magic pill or potion that will transform your hair into a ‘mermaidey’ masterpiece overnight but with some dedication and a few tips even the stubbornest hair can grow. The biggest hurdle is the having the patience to let your hair do it’s thing. Hair grows anywhere from ¼ to ½ an inch a month so it can definitely be a bit of a waiting game. Below are some of the easiest tips to implement when looking to grow your hair incredibly long:
- Lay Down the Brush: Many women obsessively brush their hair to rid it of tangles and knots, which can cause a large amount of breakage. The important tip here is looking to brush your hair from the ends up instead of starting at the root. By starting at the ends you’re able to rid hair of tangles and also do it more gently to prevent breakage.
- Scissors are Your Best Friend: It may seem counter intuitive but regular trims are actually one of the best things when it comes to growing your hair. According to Cosmopolitan “Although getting regular trims to snip splits won’t make your hair actually grow faster, it will keep tips looking healthy and prevent splits from working their way up strands, requiring you to chop hair off more often, (source).” Getting a tiny trim (we’re talking an 1/8th of an inch) off every 10-12 weeks will prevent split ends from starting in the first place.
- Apply an Oil or Mask Weekly: Hair is several years old by the time it’s past shoulder length making some extra love important to keep it happy and healthy as the rest. By using an oil treatment before shampooing residue is left aiding in healthy scalp and overall hair. Leaving some of Davine’s Oi Oil on the hair for 10 minutes before shampooing acts like a treatment that is sealed into the hair.
- Sleep on Satin: Cotton pillowcases can actually lead to breakage and the friction can rough up the hair shaft. “Cotton is actually not the ideal consistency you want when trying to grow your hair, (source).” By choosing a satin or sateen pillowcase you’ll wake up with fewer tangles.
- Wash Your Hair Less: Washing your hair everyday can be one of the worst culprits for inhibiting hair growth. The use of harsh detergents in conventional shampoos can lead to stripping of the essential oils leaving hair dry and frizzy. “Only wash your hair 2-3 times per week, and don’t feel weird about it – you’re doing your hair a huge favor! Remember, less is more.” Using a gentle shampoo like DEDE by Davines is a great option as it won’t strip away oils but still leave you feeling cleansed and refreshed.
Now that you ‘re equipped with some tips paying a visit to DesignHouse can help you further. Whether you need a trim or are looking for some ways to style your hair in the awkward growing out phase we’re your people!